Note* This domain transfer explanation covers only the most common TLDs. (.com. .net, .org, etc). Many domain extensions, especially ccTLDs have additional requirements for transfer that will not be covered here.
If you have additional questions on this or for any other reason, please reach out via the contact form below and we can assist you.
How to Transfer Your Domain To Another Godaddy Account
This is known as the push method, also referred to as an account change to transfer your domains to another Godaddy account.
To begin, the gaining registrant will need to obtain the following.
- Godaddy customer ID # and their Godaddy account email address. The losing registrant, the one initiating the push, will require this information. Log in to your Godaddy account to access your Customer ID #.
- The losing registrant will then log in to their Godaddy account and access the domain by clicking the dropdown in the top right and then clicking “My Products”.
- Click Manage on the domain you wish to transfer.
- Click Transfer Domain To Another Godaddy Account
- Input the Gaining Registrant’s Account Email Address and Customer ID# and click Transfer Domain.
- If Ownership Protection is Active on the Domain you will receive a notification like this. Click yes and Continue.
- If Ownership protection is initiated you’ll receive an additional verification prompt where you will need to confirm again that you wish to transfer the domain. Verify and the transfer will initiate.
- The losing registrant will recieve an email from Godaddy informing them that the domain transfer is progressing. (Make sure to check your spam folder)
- The gaining registrant will also recieve an email informing them that a new domain is pending activation into their account. Click the link on the email to activate the domain.
- After the gaining registrant clicks the link in the email. You will need to click Yes, Accept this transfer to complete the activation/domain name push.
- Once the transfer has been accepted, the domain should be in your account and ready for use within 24 hours. However, in our experience, it often takes several days until this is completed. You’re done!
How to Transfer Your Domain To A Different Registrar
This will outline the process for the losing registrar to obtain the necessary information required to transfer to another registrar.
The domain name will need to be eligible for transfer. As part of an ICANN rule, domains that are not yet 60 days old, have recently been transferred into GoDaddy within 60 days, or have had specific WHOIS information updated, will need to wait until 60-days has lapsed before they can transfer the domain to a different registrar.
- The losing registrant will need to log in to their GoDaddy account and select My Products from the dropdown in the top right-hand corner.
- Select manage next to the domain you wish to transfer.
- Scroll down and click and click to remove the domain lock (if turned on) for the domain. Once saved, then click Transfer the domain away from Godaddy.
- This will bring up a prompt that when completed will email you an Authorization Code (AKA an EPP Code) to the account holder’s email address. This code will be used by the gaining registrant to transfer a domain into their account registrar. You’re done!
How to Transfer Your Domain Into Godaddy From A Different Registrar
Note* Prior to initiating the domain transfer into Godaddy you will need to make sure that the domain name is unlocked at the losing registrar and that the transfer code is valid before submitting the domain name transfer. This can be verified by looking at the domain status of a domain via a WHOIS Lookup.
The domain status on the WHOIS record should look like the following.
- The gaining registrant will need to obtain the transfer code from the losing registrar.
Please see our domain transfer guides for supported domain.
- The gaining registrant will need to log in to their Godaddy account and access this page https://my.godaddy.com/domains/domain-transfer. From there you will request the domain you wish to transfer to Godaddy.
- Confirm that the domain is unlocked and input the transfer code obtain from the losing registrar and click continue.
- Complete the remainder of the steps to initiate the transfer into Godaddy. Once the transfer is initiated the process can take between 5-7 business days to complete. You’re done!